Tuesday, May 7, 2013

It's a Mystery

It wasn't a science fiction thriller but I'll still call it a mystery.

One day an IEP (Individual Education Plan for special education) appeared at my office. All alone, by itself it managed to cause confusion!

The confusion wasn't about who the IEP was for, that was clearly documented at the beginning. We didn't wonder where the school was that this IEP came from: also clearly stated. We knew what grade the student was in, his address and date of birth. Soon a bigger problem sprang up!

I quickly flipped through the pages of the mysterious IEP and found this in the present level:

"Student says he can't focus.

This student has clearly stated that he cannot focus! Funny thing is nobody seems to be able to hear him!

Alright, maybe I should read through this one more time, I thought to myself. Maybe I'll find another clue.

Nothing.

But, the child had already laid out a treasure map for everyone. He'd clearly left an 'X marks the spot'! He needs to know how to focus! Even the person who wrote the present level included the child's thinking in the IEP, they must have thought this was important, yet no where does the IEP address focusing.

There are facts and figures, percentages and standard scores about tests, quotes for the number of words the child will read, all documented. However, nowhere are there instructions or a plan for how this child will receive help with focusing.

I'll bet the child isn't interested in scores or how many words per minute he reads, but if he knew how to focus everything might change!

I'm listening and those of you who read my blog are good listeners, too. But how do schools and teachers expect students to listen to them when they fail to listen to children just like this one?

No comments: