Thursday, July 12, 2012

Soon after I was born into this world a birthmark triumphantly appeared on the end of my nose. Imagine a small-rounded-pencil eraser, dipped into some red paint, and used as a stamp on the end of a baby's nose.  Sounds cute, right? Cute it was, when I was a chubby, little one month old baby.  However, my parents worried that the cuteness would fade and something far worse replace it. 


My grandfather, knowing my parents' concern, had an even deeper concern of his own.  He feared they would go forward with their idea to have the birthmark removed.  I can see my parents' point in wanting to rid me of the red-dot; it clashed with my red hair after all! 


One day Grandfather arrived at our home and announced that he and I would be going to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.  There we would seek out a second opinion.  Of course mom and dad were welcome to join us on the trip, he graciously offered.


Long story short: the four of us traveled to Mayo Clinic in Rochester and the report that came back went something like this:  


"This type of birthmark is known to fade with the passing of time. Removal-- whether by surgical, freezing or burning methods--will result in permanent scarring."


Permanent. Scarring? Scary!  To this day my hair remains red (or strawberry-blonde as some like to call it), but the red-dot that once graced my nose is long gone.  Faded.  Just as the doctors predicted.  


The red-dot?  You'd never know that it existed if I hadn't told you this story.  


Ah, but what I really wanted to talk about: dyslexia. A dyslexic learning-style unfortunately has nothing as convenient as a birthmark to announce its presence --like the idea on a pirate's treasure map where X marks the spot!  As scary as the dot on the end of my nose was for my young parents, you have to admit that it boldly announced itself which left no doubt it existed!


What if, during that trip to Mayo Clinic, the doctors had evaluated my potential as a dyslexic learner?   There are a few good indicators for the presence of a dyslexic learning style in young children:


Late, very early, or unusual developmental milestones for walking, beginning to talk, crawling 


Repeated ear infections


Articulation difficulties ('R' and 'L' sounds are often some of the most obvious)


Creative ways of pronouncing words or invented words when they do start to talk


Family members who learn in a different way.  Often one or more parent is on the dyslexic spectrum; or an aunt, uncle, or grandparent. 


Unlike my red-dot-birthmark that I had as a baby, my dyslexia has not faded as I've grown older.  It's still with me which only makes it even easier for me to understand and empathize with those of you who share this special way of learning! 





No comments: