Wednesday, September 5, 2012

aisle, ISLE, * I'll * explain dyslexia!

Do you always believe what your eyes are telling you? Here in the Midwest our fields and lawns are sporting that burnt-look.  Some of the scorch is a grass-fire burnt look (because it probably was a grass fire; they've been rampant.) Other scorch is a drought-burnt look (because we're in the middle of a serious drought!).

This Labor Day weekend while my husband and I were tooling around Boone and Audrain Counties here in Mid-Missouri, we passed Amish farms with rows of corn shocks already in place out in the fields.  And they've been there for some time. Reminded me of fall. (For non-farmer types, shocks are the remains of the harvested corn plant placed in the fields for livestock consumption.)

If I didn't know better (and if it wasn't going to be about 100 degrees F. today) I'd think it was late fall or early winter, if I was going to judge things on this drought-burnt look!

Yet other places, without rhyme or reason, have a lush-greenness that vividly declares 'Hey, it's still summer time here!'

Columnist Jan Wiese-Fales writes for the Columbia Tribune's  Lifestyle section with her weekly article called Fertile Mind.  Recently her column was about a heat-tolerant beauty of a plant called crape myrtle. Here's a description she wrote:
"clusters of frothy, raspberry sherbet-colored blooms...beyond gorgeous, especially in comparison to wilted browning and bloomless perennial flowers and shrubs...in other parts of the yard." 
Even this horrible drought cannot take the will to live away from the hardiest plants, like the crape myrtle. They thrive no matter what! At the same time other plants, ones that might even be in the same location, and have the same amount of fertilize and water, are fading away.

So, is it summer or fall?  Here in the United States it's the end of summer-time with the official start to autumn just around the corner. Look at a calendar and you'll have all the information you'll need.

Right?

Here's my point--it's not that easy!  I'm simply trying to draw a parallel to how words and symbols might look to a dyslexic learner. What one person sees unquestioningly, to how someone else, dyslexic of non-dyslexic, may see it in an opposite way. Some see fall when looking at a word, others see summer when looking at the same word...so to speak!

Recently someone Tweeted:

"Seriously, how can you not tell the difference between isle and aisle?!"  <----- that hurts!

Alright, I do understand. Spelling errors can be annoying.  But believe me, as a dyslexic I don't make spelling errors intentionally. We don't commit all kinds of mistakes because we're stupid or because we don't care. Aisle isle I'll let you no now know more when I detrmin figure ti it out! Thnks.

May I suggest you give the idea of dyslexia a try? Check out the 37 common traits of dyslexia and let us know what you discover.




No comments: