Friday, January 17, 2014

It's my Anniversary!

Gift of Dyslexia Workshop

Call it what you like: an inkling, a vision, wild imagination, or simply insight. I sat there in my classroom late one evening frantically searching for answers. Whatever you call it, in an instant it convinced me to go to my bookcase, reach over, and grab the book, The Gift of Dyslexia. 

All along, it had been sitting right there. I'd read the book years before but guess it wasn't meant to be until now.

I flung The Gift of Dyslexia open, read the first page that I turned to, and it felt as if all the answers, to all of my questions, were laid at my feet. 

Sounds crazy, yes, but if you've ever been in a similar spot I think you can understand. I raced home. I couldn't wait to share my discovery with my husband. As I showed him the book, and what it meant to me, he rapidly understood. 

Here was what I'd been searching for.  My husband did the ground work in determining where and when I could begin training in the Davis methods and soon I was enrolled in an upcoming workshop: I was going to San Francisco, California! 

That first workshop is kind of a blur, everything seemed to happen so quickly. Answers flooded my mind but questions came on board even faster as the material was presented!

Originally I'd estimated that maybe 20% of the children from my special education caseload were somewhere on the dyslexic spectrum. Let's just say that guess was off! Once I was back at home and beginning my field studies I realized that it was closer to 95% of my students who were either dyslexic or carried dyslexic traits. 

Hard to believe it's been ten years since that first workshop. Hard to believe there were so many difficult situations that caused me to search. It's been a wild and crazy ride, one that has changed the course of my life, that I am sure of!



No comments: