Friday, February 3, 2017

Meet the BLOG!

Getting Started
The journey to becoming licensed as a Davis facilitator was intense...an understatement, at least in my case! The intensity, not so much from the process, but from my fierce motivation!

Everything had to be just right before I achieved my final licensing from Davis Dyslexia Association International. I had a mental list of what perfection would entail: professional office ready to go, user friendly website activated; brochures, business cards, local licenses, contacts made, and anything else you could imagine. Done! There was just one glitch. One small glitch! 
OnPoint Learning Center, LLC original brochure

Opposition. 
That's right, opposition because opposing opinions are out there! This business of dyslexia correction is not for the faint of heart, I tell you! Not to discourage you, but to give you a footing, an understanding, a solid place to start. 

WHAT??? Not everyone will agree with you or be amenable? No, they will not. Do not let that stop you! (And don't get me wrong, there will be many who LOVE what you do!)

Reflection
Reflecting back over the last 35+ years of studying about learning differences I'd never thought much about being opposed in my search. Most people wanted to know what my opinion was, but I had not worried about opposition. 

It started with my son's pediatrician. Dr. Lee was a genius in my book. Hours after my son was born needing emergency surgery Dr. Lee was on the ball! He'd studied the weekend before the exact type of unexpected medical issue my son ended up having (I know it was not by chance that the doc was totally up to date on this, but that's a whole other story!) 

Throughout the process of hospitalizations and treatment Dr. Lee was knowledgeable and supportive. All the way. Until down the road when I talked about looking at areas of learning differences. He was good with my ideas and didn't oppose me, too much. It was a good introduction to what would come down the road.

This leads me to the meat of this story. 

Look for the BRIGHT side! 
Around the time I was waiting on the official Davis license I attended a leadership group. The evening started off well, things were going smoothly as we munched on tasty treats, me sitting cozily on a soft couch. That's when it hit. 

I was in a conversation with the woman to my left when she mentioned what a great substitute teacher she was. She went on to talk about how she stood out above the rest of the teachers when it came to learning differences. So, having a chance to learn more about her I asked how she felt about dyslexia, attention deficit, and such.  

She stiffly turned directly toward me and articulates, "There is no such thing as dyslexia. It's all made up."

And with that lovely comment she spun around, placing her back squarely towards to me, refusing to speak! 

What can I say!
I couldn't believe what had just happened! I tried to strike up a conversation again, even pulled a friend who was sitting close by into the conversation, but to no avail. The woman refused to talk to me. I ended up leaving the event pretty early, needless to say!
Welcome to Columbia!

Meet the blog
I drove home with one mission: it was a logical conclusion, I had to start blogging! Oh, I was aware the English language and I are not always the best of friends, but I knew I could not say out-loud  $%#@ the kinds of things I wanted to say! There seemed only one recourse, to state my case through a blog post. I needed an outlet! 

I'd never, ever, considered blogging before (for one thing, I'm not the best speller!) But I was determined! 

It's been quite a pilgrimage, a venture that continues, needless to say! Carry on! 



Cathy Henkle Cook, M. Ed.
OnPoint Learning Center, LLC
Columbia, Missouri
(573) 819-6010

Empower your life with the GIFT of Dyslexia! 







No comments: