Thursday, April 6, 2017

SPRING BREAK!

Spring Break

As a child I don't remember thinking much about time, It just seemed to go by effortlessly.

Even during spring break. Do you remember spring break? When we were kids I remember it being called Easter vacation.  It meant a time to play outside and to get a jump on spring-time play, and it was immediately around Easter Sunday!
Imagine this bike in blue and white 


Kite flying and bike riding were the big hits in my neighborhood. I have fond memories of standing in the front yard watching my kite soar over my head, the wind tugging on the string. Time seemed to stand still.
Oddly enough, one year stands out above the rest for me -- that's the Easter vacation when it was cold, cloudy-gray and rainy outside. It was the spring break when I was forced to play inside for a whole week.

It was the Easter vacation when I cut an 'L' shaped slit right through the fabric of my black and white corduroy pants! Guess I was playing with scissors!

(Playing inside for a W H O L E week was tough for me. Here's an example from elementary school --- I had been riding my Monark bicycle around the block, no-handed, feeling great one sunny day! The next thing I remember was going inside, leaning back across the orange couch and asking for a drink of water.
What did mom do?  She immediately called Dr. Tratt's office, then rushed me to his clinic where they diagnosed me with Scarlet Fever! So now you understand, being inside was not all that typical for me as a kid.  After all my mother called the doctor based on the fact that I came inside to play!)

2017

Footprints in the sand

This year we escaped the rainy weather in the mid-west and made a last minute trek to the beach. There we had pure white, pristine beaches with just right temperatures!  Perfect; plus I had no need for corduroy pants! No Monark bike for riding this spring break, but, that left time for walking. We walked for miles and miles, barefooted on the beach. BAREFOOTED!

Barefooted

One morning it occurred to me that my footsteps reminded me of dyslexia. Here's my explanation: number of steps you might take on the beach are about 1-3 per second (I know, depends on your speed of walking- and where your energy dial is set at!*)

I've categorized three kinds of sand experiences here:

1) just washed over
2) recently washed over
3) awhile ago washed over

I know, you're most likely thinking I'm a bit crazy to be thinking about these categories, but here's my thought -- close to the ocean your steps disappear in a blink of the eye. I know. I took several pictures trying to catch my footprints only to find out I couldn't turn around fast enough to see them!

This meant I had to walk in the recently washed over areas of the beach to have a shot at taking a picture of my own footprints!

And here's my point: in the time it took me to take a step or two, in a second or so, my footprints were washed away. Clean, smooth, a fresh start, sand just waiting for a new impression.


Brain Science

According to science the brain of a dyslexic can process an average of thirty-two (32) images per second. That means in one second of time the brain has formed around thirty-two images. That's 32 pictures, images which carry meaning, color, energy, expression, emotion, impressions, shape, size, scents, feelings, movement, and I could go on and on with this description!

And what's happening in the brain of a non-dyslexic? Well, in their brain they are probably processing three, four or maybe five words. Yes, there is a big difference!

In the Blink of an Eye

In one second of time the sea, though, is unforgiving. The tide does not stop for mankind, nor does time. It goes on.

Which means that in the blink of an eye a new second arrives, and with that minuet segment of time our world is all new. New images, with a list of unspoiled possibilities!

So, did you ever wonder why you're distracted, creative, emotional, have crazy ideas...it may be one of those thirty-two images and all that stuff one second of time can carry along with it!


An Energy Dial showing low to high energy
*



Cathy Henkle Cook, M. Ed.

OnPoint Learning Center, LLC
Columbia, Missouri
(573) 819-6010

Empower Your Life with the GIFT of Dyslexia! 

























3 comments:

tushar soni said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Appslure said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.