Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Dear Aunt Marge...deep into my mind, see I got a treasury...


I dive deep into my mind, see I got a treasury; That float through my head like a sweet melody...

Vincent van Gogh's drawing (to the left), on his book of drawings and paintings, sent a sweet melody to me recently when I decided to bring it home (it's been in storage at my dad's for years!)

...faces that are woven in the fabric of my consciousness...-Talib Kweli, Memories Live Lyrics

The person in the center of this picture has been forever woven into the fabric of my consciousness. She was, she is, and she forever will be my childhood hero -her name was Marjorie Phillips Greener; AKA: my Great Aunt Marge. Van Gogh's book was something she purchased at the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam. I know because she lovingly wrote these details inside the book, after her Temple University European tour in 1962.  The tour brought together Aunt Marge's love for music and her love of art as she toured the great museums, churches, art galleries and universities of Europe. 

When my decorating gene spontaneously revved up the other day, I flew into high gear with ideas for that van Gogh book. After I spun through a few pages I quickly landed on painting #94. Hmmm...Number 94 looked strangely familiar. Without hesitating, I cruised into the next room to find a print that hangs on my den wall. I didn't know exactly what I would find.  Were there similarities? 

Not only were there similarities between #94 and the picture on my wall, they were the same (with a color shading difference)!

Unbelievable! The picture back cover of a Reader's Digest that I'd saved for some 30 years had recently been designated to a glass frame in our den.  I'd saved it because -well, maybe it was the coloring, or the impressionist painting style, or because it caused a sweet melody to float through my mind? 

Over 50 years ago Aunt Marge bought that van Gogh book; about 30 years ago I found van Gogh's painting on the back of a magazine; today they've come together! 


#94 Peach-tree in bloom,
Arles, France, 1888.






Aunt Marge is still a superstar to me. To this day her laughter easily plays in my mind's ear. I can still sense her mannerisms and the cheerful you-who she'd whistle upon arrival

I still have an empty Elizabeth Arden lotion bottle of hers filled with pennies, a flute-a-fone she gave me, the memory of learning Do Re Mi forward and backward while helping her teach one day, and of singing lyrics from Rodgers and Hammerstein's musical The Sound of Music and Disney's Mary Poppins to her friends...but most cherished of all I have her sweet memories that float through my mind more often than you could even imagine.  

Marjorie Greener was music director and educator for a large school system, which she earned after getting a Master's Degree in Music Education from Northwestern and Western Illinois Universities. Impressive, especially for a woman in the 1950's and '60's but none of that really mattered to me. Aunt Marge earned my respect and honor through the love she unselfishly gave to so many. 

What *Sir Ken Robinson said recently brought all of Aunt Marge's work to mind...


I believe that the arts should be on an equal footing in schools with the sciences, humanities, languages and physical education....

So here's to the Aunt Marge's of this world who weave sweet memories and melodies into the fabrics of our lives and consciousness's.  And to all the great teachers, parents, aunts and uncles, moms and dads, grandmothers and grandfathers, sisters and brothers...who bring us their insight into this world through the arts, sciences, humanities, languages, physical education...


*Sir Ken Robinson, PhD, is one of the internationally recognized leaders in the development of education creativity and innovation. He has received numerous honorary degrees from universities, and many awards from cultural organizations and governments, all over the world. He was knighted in 2003 by Queen Elizabeth II for services to the Arts.

No comments: