Saturday, March 9, 2013

Mash This Up!

*mash-up magic; www.greggfraley.com 

Striving to rid ourselves of the causes of our mistakes, not curing our dyslexia, is one way to describe what I do. 

I often refer to the tools used in my programming as multi-dimensional.  These multi-dimensional tools, can help us achieve our goals.
In the end, the results can be that we feel better about ourselves, we learn how to read or improve our reading comprehension, or we're just able to maintain focus. 


Over the course of a 30-hour dyslexia correction program some of the tools we use are: 

Clay            (think modeling clay) 
Imagination (nothing to buy for this *tool*) 
Release        (Breathe in, count 1-2-3; Hold it, count 1-2-3; Blow out, count 1-2-3. Also free!).  
Oh, and while you're breathe in, picture or imagine yourself as just right

Mash-Up
Recently our Columbia, Missouri Chamber of Commerce held a day of events; it was our annual Business Showcase. While manning my booth that morning of the event I had lots of visitors, including one man. He was interested in my business OnPoint Learning, and my techniques. I happily answered his questions.

After several minutes of me monopolizing the conversation I managed to ask him what he did. 

"I'm going to be your speaker today at the Women's luncheon," Gregg Fraley politely answered.  
I probably turned a few shades of red, feeling a little silly that I'd stood there rattling on and on about myself, while in fact I was talking to the highlight of the afternoon luncheon! 

During the luncheon Gregg Fraley entertained us with clips of his
 techniques and descriptions of his creative problem solving methods for businesses. I couldn't help but take notice! But when he began describing his Mash-Up idea, I was fascinated! Quickly I saw a resemblance with our "Create-a-Word procedure.  

Create-a-word is a method we use in correcting program.  It's like the gate-keeper for the final half of the correction program; the combining of creativity and the world of precision in language. 

In Gregg Fraley's presentation two overlapping circles were presented ----Circle A, the other Circle B. (See the pictures at the top of today's blog.)

Circle A represents one idea. Circle B represents a different idea.  Creative ‘conceptual blending” mashes up or combines different concepts into one to make a new creation.

Don't just read my mash up of Gregg's ideas, read about it in his own words: http://www.greggfraley.com/blog/2012/06/06/32-opportunities-for-brilliant-mash-ups/


Dyslexia Correction Mash-Up 
Here's my version of Mash-Up for working with dyslexia: 


1.     Pick a challenge. Concept A.

2.     Pick another challenge. Concept B.
3.     Look for connections between Concept A & Concept B. 

4.     Morph these ideas into one idea. Magic. 

5.     Keep noodling, doodling and thinking.  Create something new.

Symbol Mastery
Here's our version of the world of Mash-Ups: http://www.symbolmastery.com/.  Whether it's Mash-Ups or Symbol Mastery we need to take our language from a verbal form to a three-dimensional form and make it easier for those of us who are visual-spatial learners. Its language (not always fun) Mash-Up and clay (always fun)!


So when we're using clayimagination and release, in the end we're getting to the bottom of the issue with learning differences! Now we have the power to Create-a-(new) word, pronounce it anyway we want; spell our word anyway we want, and define it anyway we want!  We're using creativity and correcting dyslexia

What ideas can you come up with Mash-Up?

*Visit Gregg Fraley's blog @ http://kilnco.com/blog




No comments: