Tuesday, March 26, 2013

More than Just a Memory -it was an Experience!

Frustrating. That's it. Hugely frustrating dealing with stereo types and mis-perceptions that cloud the field of dyslexia. It's the closed mindedness that gets me; although the words uninformed, unwilling, emotionally linked, inflexible, lacking...could replace 'closed minded'.

Model of Experience: Survive as Changed
I was working on some concepts from our Identity Program when something frustrating came to mind.

Wait, let me explain more precisely. I was working on the concepts of Experience. Experience as in survive as changed, and working with how we experience Experience, like:

-at the point of an experience;
-when we cause an experience;
-how we observe an experience;
-at the effect of an experience;
-before an experience happens;
-watching someone else experience something;
these things were soaring through my mind and something hit me. 

No, not 'hit' me like flying through the air at me; 'hit' me like emotions flying out of thin air at me.

A memory soared out of nowhere.  A music memory. I've been a fan of Elton John's music since my early teens. His concerts were the first big-time concerts I attended when the Chicago Stadium was in it's hey-day. My mom was our chauffeur.

YOUR SONG, ELTON JOHN
Yes, I love Elton John's music and his piano playing sings to my heart.

I love piano in contemporary, modern, classical, jazz, you-name-it, music. (and I've always been in love with watching the hands of a great pianist work the keys!)  But today as the sound from those ebony & ivories of an Elton John song twinkled through my office-air they released my mind back in time. Sound. It drew me out of my personal space into an emotional cloud. [This also explains what we call disorientation, so I had to use my focusing tools, to get back on point, to write this!]

Once I was within that cloud, spiraling memories of my grandfather, my dad's dad, overtook me. Music. 

My grandfather was talented musically; he sang all day long while he worked. He was a kind and happy person. Here I was researching the placement of before, during and after for our Identity Program's concept of Experience, I experienced it myself. My mind drifted to the memory of my grandfather. I flew to wondering how he first experienced music, what was his first experience with a piano, how did music make him feel....

Sweet thoughts came so swiftly there was barely time for a "your emotions are taking over" kind of feeling.

Well, another Elton John song just began. At the first hint of that first note I knew exactly what song it was.

Beautiful. Memories.
*Love will grow, it comes and goes
Emotions can deceive you
Well this I vow, here and now
My love will never never never leave you
*Elton John music; Lyrics Gary Osbourne http://www.elyrics.net/read/e/elton-john-lyrics/memory-of-love-lyrics.html

Finally, I want to talk about a website I found today about music. The Music Empowers Foundation https://www.facebook.com/musicempowers.  Here's a site that wants all to know about the power behind the music.

I agree with them.

Does music empower you in the same way?









No comments: